Monday, July 13, 2009

Aeronautica Tourney

The end of last week was pretty hectic.

Work is murder lately, but I'm glad to have a job - I have met so many people lately that are out of work!!

I procrastinated like a dumbo and let an Aeronautica Tournament at Jersey Shore Hobbies sneak up on me. At the last minute I had to create squadron lists for myself, my girlfriend and my son, scratch build bombing mission objective markers for two of the three races we were going to fly and do some much needed magnet maintenance on my flying bases. I was up until 3am Saturday morning working on stuff and then awake at 6am to get ready, drop off laundry, get some printouts and drive the 90+ miles to the tourney... I'm dragging today I can assure you!!

There was a small turnout, but it was great to meet, hang and play with other AI enthusiasts rather than having to suffer through the razzing we get from some of our local 40K guys!

After getting there and seeing how nicely most of their models were painted, I felt like a complete bum coming in with half my stuff not even primed and almost none of it fully painted!!

We rotated on three of their 40K tables and started the day facing off against strangers.
- My son's first game was on a 100% flat ask waste table, he was flying Tau Barracudas and Tiger Sharks, which he had never used before. He faced 14 year old George, who will forever be known as Baby Face Nelson after this!! George was flying Imperial Navy with Thunderbolts and Lightnings. George won hands down for 20 Battle Points.
- Jen's first game was against Alex and his Tau. It's didn't go well for her, but I don't remember the score. This was a pretty spiff desert board with a Water Effects stream/river running across the middle from long side to long side with tall reed/grass here and there along the shores.
- My first game was against Lou's Imperial Navy on a dry river bed board that had three levels of terrain from the dry/ muddy river bed up the back and then a small hill - VERY nice for 40K, not so great for AI. We both fielded a nearly identical lists of Thunderbolts and Lightnings, but I managed to pull all the Battle points by beating him by more than double victory points!

Game two was a BIG game (180 points) with bombing objectives.
- This game I was on the desert board facing George. He pretty much cleaned my clock!! I think I got more points when he crashed his bomber than I did from my own shooting! I took 4 battle points and gave George 16.
- D (my son) was facing Lou and didn't fair so well... I think he pulled 8 Battle points in this game.
- Jen went against Alex's Tau and his Manta brought a whole lot of hurt to the table!! Surprising to most people, she wasn't afraid to get in close with her Possessed Chaos planes and managed to put 6 hits on the Manta. The Deamonic Possession was her MVP in that game! With the Manta throwing 40+ dice per turn, she was amazingly making the 6+ saves for the hits from the limited fire that was actually effective!!! I think she pulled a goose egg in this game as well, but nothing was breaking her spirit!!

Game three was an Ace's shoot out scenario with every one getting a free Ace Upgrade and bonus Victory points for shooting their opponents Ace down. every one was paired up by accumulated Battle Points, but it was still nearly any ones game!
- D and Jen were paired up, but I don't think it went to great for her...
- I ended up facing Lou again, but this time the tables were turned and he totally out-matched me! My Ace got a kill early and things were looking up, but the very next turn he was taken out and all my plans went down in flames with him! I only pulled 4 Battle Points.
- Alex and George duked it out for first place, but Baby Face Nelson just could not be stopped!!!

I think the Final ranking were:
1 - George with 46+/- Battle Points
2 - Lou and Alex tied with 40 Battle Points each
3 - D and I tied with 24 Battle Points each
4 - Jenn with 8 Battle Points

There was a Store Credit cash prize and Lou and Alex gave their halves to D and I, which bough me some back issues of Fine Scale Modeler and Scale Auto and a box of 1/72 cowboys I'm going to use for Legends of the Old West. I also picked up an Epic scale Space Marine Transport for far more than I should have spent and plan to use it in the future as a Thunderhawk Gun Ship and a bombing objective.

The tourney was small, but pretty well planned.
We arrived 45 minutes late, but had we been a "no show" they probably would have canceled the whole thing because of lack of people, so I'm really glad I didn't just say "F' it" and go back to sleep.

I'd like to do an AI tourney locally, but we don't have very many local players...

The current plan is to do a demo board at Games Day next year, but time will tell. We are leaning more toward Thunderbolts versus Phoenixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment