Monday, November 23, 2009

Wargames Illustrated

I just picked up 5 or 6 issues of Wargames Illustrated at Compleat Strategist in NYC on Saturday. I'm really liking the magazine so far. The $8 cover price is prohibitive, but less than Games Workshop's White Dwarf and the content ranges all genre's , scales, figure manufacturers and rules publishers...

Issue 260 comes with a sprue of 2 figures in 28mm by the Perry brothers - early 1800's riflemen and there is a painting article and a "how-to" for a quick and dirty conversion from English to American enlistment.

I just finished a two-part article spread across issues 262 and 263 about the introduction and usage of firearms in Africa during the 1860's. Some very interesting tid-bits about how inaccurate the early arms were and how the natives learned to countered them.

I know there was some early concerns when Battlefront initially bought a controlling interest in WI, but from what I can see they have NOPT turned the mag into WD for Flames of War. There is a FoiW article in each and every issue (and often two), but the mag is from from dominated by the content for just that one game. Every issue I have in hand has at least 4 articles on games for other time period (none of which Bf covers) and one has an interview with Rick Priestly from GW.

Overall, I think the mag is well worth a preview!

No comments:

Post a Comment